02 March 2013

Walking in sunshine



 
The weather forecast is predicting sunshine for the next four days!  Woo-hoo!   We had busy plans for the day – get the motorcycle out, clean the Irv a bit, make a dish for a friend’s potluck house-warming party/bonfire tonight and get out for a walk to enjoy the sunshine.  
I made smoked salmon chowder for the potluck (recipe here), and it was a smashing success.  Of course it was – there was 6 CUPS of heavy cream in it.  That’s grossly decadent.  I will definitely make it again, but will start to replace out some of the heavy cream with milk/whole milk/half-and-half and see if I can get a recipe I still like but can justify making.  Two changes I did make to the recipe was to add 3 T of tomato paste (I wanted it to be the color of salmon) and swap the white wine for chicken stock.  If we ever move out of Alaska I’m going to be devastated by the last of great smoked salmon and fresh fish.  It’s so easy to find good stuff here (though it’s not cheap!).

No comments:

Post a Comment