03 June 2012

So crafty!

I'm pretty darn pleased with my craftiness today.  I had a hanging, over-the-door shoe holder that wasn't going to work in the RV (no real doors anywhere).  At an RV supply store a couple of weeks ago I saw long fabric shoe pockets that hung from the bed frame (for way more money than I wanted to spend) and that gave me the idea to modify the one I had to fit on the bed frame!

So I took this and cut it at the bottom of each set of pockets, leaving the top set with the hooks intact.  

I had gone to the fabric store looking for fabric to add length to the top of each shoe pocket set.  My idea was to sew about 8 inches of fabric to the top of the pocket strip, then staple the whole thing to the bed frame (under the mattress to hide the staples).  I couldn't find fabric I liked that matched the tan, and found myself looking at bolts of denim, when I remembered that I had an old pair of jeans I was going to trow away.  I decided to be extra cheap crafty and just cut those up for the fabric!

I pinned everything together, then set up my sewing machine on the kitchen counter (since we don't have a table any more - not ideal but it got the job done), and sewed it all up!




Steve helped me staple them in place.  They turned out great! 
As an added bonus, I found a great place to put the pocket set with the hooks still intact.  I don't know what we'll end up sticking in there...maybe house slippers, or poo bags and a leash, or the TV remote, or bug spray and an umbrella...but I'm sure it will come in handy.



1 comment:

  1. Clever, you are! I am impressed. (Don't tell my mom you took out your sewing machine. She'll think I ought to do the same.)

    ReplyDelete