11 March 2012

One year ago today

One year ago today marks the earthquake in Japan.  It's not something I think about much these days...the US news seldom has a story about the tsunami devastation or the nuclear mess in Fukushima.  Immediately after leaving I had nightmares and would think the smallest shake of the bed at night (like the dog bumping up against it or Steve rolling over) was an earthquake, which would leave me wide awake with my heart racing, sometimes for an hour or more.  Going back to work was hard - it felt too normal for what was going on in my head and in Japan.  However, it's comparatively easy to go on with my life, forgetting the horrific event for thousands of people living in Japan whose lives will never be the same.  It was stressful for me, but not the same for those who live there, I suspect. 

I do find that my...perspective...has changed.  At work I find myself worrying less about work and thinking about the worst that could happen if I fail at something.  "Nobody will die, if this meeting doesn't accomplish everything this week" or "Well, all the reports are late.  It is what it is.  There's always tomorrow.", I think to myself.  I stress out less about the little stuff, which is good.  At the same time, since one year ago today I've also made some changes and been thinking really hard about the future.  What do I want?  Where do I want to live?  What do I want to DO?  Life is short.  Do what makes you happy.  That's part of why I started this blog - it makes me happy.  I don't care if a single other person on the planet ever reads it.  If there ever comes a time when I don't like doing it or it feels like a chore, I'll be done, and that's ok.  I had thirteen long hours on the plane ride home from Japan and I made a mental list of things I wanted to do.  And I'm pursuing them.  Because I want to.  Because I can.  Even if some are scary and make me question whether I can do them or worry about failing.  Life is short.  Go for it.


2 comments: