11 June 2011

Freezer cleanout

June 1 marked the official start of hurricane season.  Last year was very calm and I'm hoping for more of the same this summer.  However, I worry about losing power or having to leave suddenly(-ish) and what that would mean for our freezer full of food (I'm less worried about the fridge since we don't usually keep it very full).  Now, should a hurricane loom, I'm sure we could throw one heck of a hurricane party, invite the neighbors over and grill/bake/cook/eat up everything in the freezer.  But, in an effort to plan ahead and to also keep food from getting too old, we're slowly trying to reduce the quantity of food in there.  So tonight for dinner, I've made spinach and feta ravioli that used up some wonton wrappers (makes good quick ravioli) and a block of feta cheese.  We paired that with some fresh tomato sauce from the tomatoes I've picked.  I also found a recipe for cheddar jalapeno bread that looked amazing, so I baked a loaf to accompany dinner (see next post). 



To make the ravioli I mixed frozen, chopped spinach (drained very well) with crumbled feta cheese and fresh oregano.  I spooned a teaspoon of the mixture onto each wonton wrapper then used a dab of water to seal each wrapper into a triangle.  I cooked several at a time in a covered non-stick skillet with a bit of Pam and a couple of tablespoons of water to help steam them.  Once cooked I set them all aside and assembled a simple sauce.



I chopped the tomatoes, put them in a strainer, then sprinkled them with about a 1/2 teaspoon of salt then let them drain for a couple of hours while I did other things.  I wanted them to loose some of their liquid so the sauce wouldn't be runny.  Using the same pan from cooking the ravioli, I heated 1 teaspoon of olive oil and added three cloves of chopped garlic, cooked for a minute, then added the tomatoes and basil.  After another 1-2 minutes I added a splash of balsamic vinegar and put the ravioli back in the pan.  This would have been excellent with some fresh, crusty bread.



2 comments:

  1. I would love to be your neighbor ... and be invited over for dinner! I'd even make sure you wore gloves while chopping jalapenos! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love for you to be our neighbor, and you could come over for dinner every night! (well except when I'm in a 'soy' phase) We need to work on being fewer time zones apart. :)

    ReplyDelete