05 May 2011

Homemade soft pretzels

Homemade pretzels and mustard and a walk outside on the most perfect day of the spring...does life get any better?



There's a pizza place in town that makes really good soft pretzels and every time we go there we talk about how we need to try making them at home.  So, I did.  I used this recipe from Alton Brown, but I just made a half batch.  I used my stand mixer with the dough hook attachment, so it wasn't messy at all. 



While the dough was mixing, I used my new jar of Penzey's dry mustard to make a honey-mustard dip.  It has a serious kick!  In the end, neither one of us loved it...too spicy.



 The dough was really nice and soft after the five minute kneading in the machine.  I transferred the dough to a clean, oiled bowl to rise until double (about an hour) while I prepped the rest of our dinner (chicken sausages and roasted green beans).

Once the dough had doubled I divided the it into four pieces for four large pretzels. 
Then I dipped each formed pretzel into the boiling water + baking soda bath.  I didn't brush them with the egg yolk before baking because we didn't have eggs...and no salt on top either.


They turned out great and were so easy I'll make them again.  Steve gave them an 8 out of 10 (points deducted for no salt on top).  Next time, I'll look for the big salt for the top and maybe bake them a bit longer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment