16 January 2012

Arizona Part 2 - Desert Museum


Inside Saguaro National Park is a small museum.  Actually, it's part art museum, part field museum, and part zoo.  Most of the Sonora Desert Museum is open air, with some of the most natural feeling animal enclosures I've ever seen.  It's absolutely worth a visit.  The focus is on local flora and fauna, and this is probably your best shot of seeing a mountain lion. 

The art features were some of my favorite parts.  This sculpture of a vulture eating a scrap metal horse was awesome, and kind of funny.

We spent several hours at the museum.  Instead of hand sanitizer pumps they have sunscreen dispensers mounted on the walls.  I almost squeezed some onto my hand thinking it was hand sanitizer before I read the label and stopped myself! 

Check out this big horn sheep from the exhibit.  It's alive, and it was staring intently at me.  I don't know if they can see colors, but I was wearing a vibrant red pirate t-shirt, so maybe that's why it was staring so hard. 

Dad and Barb took a guided tour of the museum while Steve and I wandered by ourselves through the exhibits.  Their guide told them that you can eat the cactus fruit, so when we found some (later in the day) Dad, Steve, and I tried it.  It was really sour, but tasted pretty good.  I wonder if they get more sweet over time?

We had a lot of driving time in the RV and I had some fun with self portraits.  This is my "OMG I won the lottery!" practice face.  Pretty good, eh?





No comments:

Post a Comment